Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Los Tres Cenotes

This past weekend my group went to three cenotes. Oh my gosh, they were amazing! And they didn't have annoying, tiny, creepy fish swimming too close for comfort.

First we got on these little buggy things ("trucks" they called them, with their nice little accents). The trucks fit 5 people each, plus the driver and they were homemade. Not sure how sturdy they were, but I'm still alive! A skinny horse pulled each truck attatched to the mini tracks.

When we got to each cenote the horses stopped. Each cenote was in a cave. The water is perfectly blue and clear and it's the perfect temperature to cool you down in the Yucatán heat. When we got to the 1st one we had to climb some ghetto stairs to get into the cave. But it was worth it.

But then when we got to the 2nd cenote, I was thinking that the first cenote's stairs weren't ghetto at all. For the 2nd ones you had to sit on a step and make your body flat just to get inside the cave.

Then we got to the 3rd cenote/cave and I was thinking "where is it?" I didn't see any holes in the ground or stairs or any sign of anything but dirt. But then we walked over to this hole in the ground that was about 3 feet across. The bottom of the hole was black. Black as in I saw no sign of water and no sign that the hole even had a bottom. Leading into the blackness was a homemade ladder with some nails holding it to the side of the hole. "Ummmmm, we're going down there?" I asked. What the heck! I'm in Mexico! Holy crap, it was scary.

Anyway, when I got to the bottom I couldn't see anything so I just felt around till I found the water. Finally my eyes adjusted and I'm glad I went. It was so beautiful!

When we got back to the place where our bus was waiting for us we all got on the bus to go home. As we were driving out of this little pueblo, I noticed one of the kids in our group, running next to the bus waving his arms. Ha ha ha! We almost left without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment