Saturday, June 12, 2010

Dreaming in Mexico

Today was like a dream. At the beginning of the day, not so much. But by the time we get to the end of my day, you will think it was a dream... except it wasn't.

So first I woke up at 7 am... without trying (1st sign of a dream). I think I woke up early because I went to sleep early last night (2nd sign of a dream). Anyway, I forced myself back to sleep and woke up again at a more reasonable hour... 9:30. I had pancakes and mango for breakfast. After breakfast my mamá taught me how to make this delicious rice.

After that my roomie and I were super bored. We were thinking of going to el centro, but we've spent so much time there already. So we decided to make paper puppets of all our roommates. Then Lana (one of the roomies from Arizona) came in and helped us finish. Then we snuck onto the roof and did a show for the other 3 roommies in their window.

Then we went over to the house of some guys in our group to watch the world cup game of U.S. against England. It was a tie game.

The dreamy part of my day comes next. We met with our group to go to this little pueblo for our very last group excursion (5 days left!) When we got here (I say here, because we are here right now... I'm writing from my cell phone) we joined in the parade. It's this tiny little pueblo and we made up about one-fourth of their parade. Some of us just marched behind the band and others held candles or cloth poster things and walked with the people.

It was the weirdest thing ever. Seriously. We walked around waving to the croud (by croud I mean people looking out of their houses/huts). I was like, "why are we in the parade of some random Mexican town?" It was sooooo weird. It was absurd. I don't even know why the people allowed us in it. We just showed up in their town and joined in their parade. We marched around the block and into a church. Then I think I got sprinkled with holy water. Not sure.

Okay, I imagined this would sound better than it does. You kind of have to be here to understand. The point is that it was interesting.

Anyway, next I spent a good 10 minutes watching this group of ants trying to carry a dead tic into their hole. They couldn't fit the tic. He was too big.

And now I'm sitting on a rock writing in my blog. But I'm watching this little kid (maybe 4 years old) throwing some fruit as if it's a baseball. He's got a pretty good arm.

Okay, I just played baseball with the kid... Jesus is his name. He's 3 and is super chubby. He grabbed a plastic coke bottle and was the batter. I was the pitcher. We played for a good 10 minutes. But then I saw my group leaving so I had to go. Sad. He was cute and that was the first time I've played baseball in years.

Lastly, I also saw some monkeys and a goat. The monkeys were tied up next to a little circus tent. They were just lounging around. The goat was eating grass under an RV.

My point is that today was a strange day.

P.S. I'm so ready to come home. And now I'm on the bus going bacl to my Mexican casa. Soon, I will be home home. Los estados unidos home.

No comments:

Post a Comment