Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sour Cream is NOT Mexican

I`ve eaten beans every day! As proud of myself that I am, they still gross me out... not the flavor, just the thought. Two days ago they served me actual beans (not all mushed up) and I snuck them onto my roommates plate when my Mexican mamà left the room. I`m still working on eating the actual beans/june bugs. I`m betting that I`ll be able to do it by the end of the six weeks here... maybe.
Okay, so Mexico has done something to me... it makes me VERY happy to see a 7 eleven. I have NEVER been so happy to see a 7 eleven in my whole life. Just to see it and know that I can buy a cold drink is awesome. It`s rare to find a place here that used AC. The school does, and the 7 elevens do, but almost nobody else. At the house there is no AC in the main part so it`s super hot. And we have AC in the bedroom but we can only turn it on at night (to sleep) or for the times in the day when we are too hot to concentrate on doing our homework.

Today, I was cold. It was the first time I have been cold since I`ve been in Mexico. I`m in the library at school right now and the AC is on. I took a nap and woke up so cold! I went outside and it felt SOOOO good, about 78 degrees. (First time it has been in the 70s since I`ve been here, and that includes night time). I wanted to finish my nap in the shade outside but I couldn`t get the courage to sit on the grass... there`s all these weird-looking bugs here and I don`t want to sleep with them.

Heidi called me yesterday and told me that Daniel wanted to see me. I miss all the munchkins so much! All the munchkins here speak Spanish only and look at me funny `cause I`m the tallest person they`ve ever seen, and I`m white. Well, I`m not so white anymore, since we went to the beach on Saturday... I`m back to my normal color... but still whiter than the Mexicanos. I have skype if anybody wants to see me! :-)

And finally for the sour cream... I know you`ve all been dying to hear this one. I don`t think sour cream is even Mexican. Did you know that? I haven`t had sour cream once yet since I`ve been here. And I haven`t seen any anywhere. I ordered a quesadilla and there was white stuff on top, but it was just regular creme (like heavy whipping cream)! Weird huh? They use the plain cream here all the time.

3 comments:

  1. Lauren that is common knowledge. Everybody knows they use Crema in Mexico... Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?! Oh... well I didn't know.

    ReplyDelete