Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Biggest Bug of My Life, New Roomies, More.......

FOOD
So I have started a recipe book. My mamá mexicana has showed me how to make some of the foods and I'm excited to make authentic yucateca mexican food for my family when I get home. I have 4 recipes in it so far.
Also, because I am craving non Mexican food, I look forward to eating cereal on Tuesdays and Fridays (since those are the days our mom doesn’t want to wake up at 5:30 to make us breakfast… class it at 7). BUT, I do not look forward to the reason for the cereal. I can’t stand that class.
BUGS
Oh. My. Gosh. Guess what I saw this week? The biggest spider I have ever seen in my whole life (minus a tarantula, but it wasn't a tarantula!) I was sitting in class, minding my own business when I saw Mr. Spidey from the corner of my eye. I jumped a little because I knew it was a bug and I am scared of bugs. But then, I did a double take and realized that this was no ordinary spider. It was the size of the palm of a child's hand. I jumped up and ran to the other side of the classroom as it crawled under the food of Hannah, the girl sitting next to me. She didn't do anything because she assumed I was freaking out about a tiny bug as I often do. But then Kassie looked down and saw it and screamed and her papers flew all over. Then Hannah saw it and freaked out. And even Rex (the guy with the big arms... have I told you about him?) got scared. My teacher thinks we are crazy, he stepped on it like it was an ant. Finally we all calmed down and started class again. But my teacher thinks we're crazy for sure.
NEW ROOMMATES

Last week we got two new exchange student (from Arizona State University) who moved in. Our mom loves having students here. All her kids are grown and married so she always gets exchange students. The two new girls are nice.
MAMÁ MEXICANA

We played Rummy last week with her. She taught us all how to play. It was fun, but I suck at it... it's a numbers game.
She is so cute. She has so much energy and is so sweet. Yesterday I told her about some homework I have (to write down 10 Spanish sayings) and asked her if I could talk to her to hear some Spanish sayings. She said she would but she couldn't right then because she had some girlfriends coming over to play cards. Ten minutes later she walked into my bedroom and handed me a paper and said "tarea" which means "homework." Ha ha ha, she did it for me. She's so funny.
Today she asked us what we were doing after school and we weren't planning on doing anything. Just staying home and finishing homework. Then she got so excited because of this movie that just came out that she really wanted to see ("Letters to Juliet" or "Cartas a Julieta"). So we went to the movie. It was in Spanish and I understood it! Yay!

When we got home it was dinner time and it was ham and cheese sandwiches. It looked so yummy (even with mustard) and I've been craving something other than Mexican food. So I sat down and my mamá pulled my plate away. She found out that my tummy has been hurting and I have had diarrhea and so she said I get to eat bread and butter for dinner... no delicious looking sandwich. She's so sweet and worries so much when she finds out if anyone isn't feeling well.
SERVICE
Yesterday we started service projects. There’s 3 different groups. I’m in the group that works at this place for sick people. It’s a hospital run by the government that is free for poor people.
HAMMOCK
You may have heard the rumor that I sleep in a hammock now. Yes, it’s true, but not every night. I take turns with my roomies. All the rooms here have hammock hangers in them. It’s just a normal part of having a house. Everybody has it. Even the rooms at the place where I’m volunteering all have hammock hooks.
SUNDAYS
It’s so cute to listen to the people sing in church. It doesn’t matter if you have the crappiest voice, you just belt it. They all sing so loudly. We sang a song in Relief Society that is one of those songs with 2 parts for guys and girls and they sing at different times. There is this cute tiny old lady who sang the guy part so loudly. She is definitely tone deaf, but so cute.
Some Last Notes…
Last week we went to this cultural event thing. It was a dance show/play at the theater in Merida. It was fun but got a little boring after a while because the dancing was the same the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment