Monday, May 17, 2010

I Kissed a Politician... And Then Merida Flooded! Oh... and I went to Uxmal!

Today is the day that I try to post pictures. Sooo, if you're reading this from your email then go to lolomugger.blogspot.com. And if you still can't see the pictures, then I have successfully failed. And if indeed I have failed, then ignore the random letters and numbers in today's blog.

FOREIGN POLITICS

First let me say that there the elections for the state of Yucatán just happened today. So for the past 3 weeks I have been looking at political signs all over the city. Angelica watches me wherever I go. She's like Big Brother, it's so creepy! Her huge face is on every sign in the city. (I think she won by the way. My mama wasn't too happy).

Anyway, so my roommates and I were walking home from the mall and there was a little political rally going on near the 7 Eleven where we live. There were tons of young people about our age and when we walked through they all attacked us with free T-shirts and bracelets and bow horns. It's like, "Hey look, white kids!" I don't know why they were so excited. It's not like we can even vote. But I'm happy 'cause I got a free T-shirt that says, "Mérida, cómo te quiero!" which is the little phrase written next to Angelica's heads all over town. Well anyway, there's this other guy, Javier, who is running for something too. I've seen his face around town too. Well, Javier was there! The guys were like, "You want to meet Javier?" and we were like, "of course!" and so Javier came over and met us all. He kissed us on the cheek... the way people shake hands here and then we were like, "that's not Javier!" He looked way too young. I hope he didn't speak English. Anyway, as we walked home we saw a sign with Javier's face on it and realized that we actually HAD met Javier and he kissed us. It was fun, but scary at the time. Scary because they wanted to take a picture of us and I was thinking how badly I didn't want to go to Mexican jail. I don’t know if I broke any laws by "supporting" some political party. Anyway, I'm fine. Maybe my papa will see my face in the newspaper :-)

Photobucket

FLOOD


Today it rained. A lot. Like poured rained. Poured a lot. My roommates and I went outside to play in the rain and decided that we wanted to get popsicles. So we walked to the popsicles place. Well we mostly walked, but we practically swam some of the time. The street looked like a river. Then when we got to the popsicles place the door was closed and I could see the worker inside taking a nap! So we stood there for like 10 minutes under some cover and stared in the window and watched the lightning. Then finally Senor Worker woke up and let us in to buy our popsicles. I probably have a Mexican street water disease now.

Photobucket
Oh, by the way, when it rains. the bugs come out! I went to a bush to hide for cover and literally got attacked by moths and freaked out and ran down the street screaming while some local girls laughed their heads off at me.



Then walking home was difficult because it was swim-walking and my eyes were shut part of the time while my roommate guided me and chanted "there are no bugs. It's only rain. No bugs." I made it home in one piece, but it was definitely a close one.

Photobucket
UXMAL

Okay, Friday we went to Uxmal. Hole. E. Crap. AMAZING. There's only 11 building uncovered there and they are so amazing. But did you know that there are over 200 more! When we stood on top of one of the buildings and looked out over the practically flat ground around us for miles and miles and miles, our guide told us that anywhere where there is a little hill is actually a building that hasn't been uncovered. Then I asked why they were uncovering them and my teacher said "Money." So if there are any archeologists out there willing to volunteer, please do! There are ancient Mayan buildings under the ground that could be even more amazing that the huge pyramid at Uxmal! PLEASE. Somebody needs to do it!

Photobucket

Then, we ate at the Uxmal restaraunt. It was yummy. Then we swam in a pool there. I was happy. No fish, since it was a real pool with chlorine and everything!

Oh, we also went to the beach on Saturday and my awesome roommie built a sand castle of the Uxmal pyramid and when people walked by they took pictures of it. One kid even asked to take a picture of it with my roommate.
 
Photobucket
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Sorry. The pictures got cut off :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you put them into your blog. hold down the shift key and then pull in the corner arros to reformat it. That should help.
    Oh and YEAHHH for pictures. LOVE it. Tha

    ReplyDelete