Sunday, May 9, 2010

Rumors of Me in Mexico... you don't wanna miss these ones...

Rumors of Me in Mexico... you don't wanna miss these ones...

CELESTÚN!

There's a rumor going around that I ate SHRIMP! Well, it's true. I did. There were little tiny baby shrimpies and I ate some... on a cracker. It was spicy. That’s as spicy as I’ll go. By the way, I didn’t just eat one bite. I ate multiple bites. Thank you very much. I grow a little more each day 


So yesterday we went to Celestún. We got on a boat and saw tons of flamingos! First of all, they make totally hideous sounds. But they look so pretty. And seeing hundreds and hundreds of them was so awesome. Our guía (guide) told us that there's normally even more flamingos, but I can't imagine there being more than there was. It’s like this beach where fresh water comes from underground and it’s like a natural filter that is perfect for the flamingos! Also, we got lucky enough to see a flock of flamingos flying. They looked soooo pretty! Again, I wish I could have understood more, but it was all in Spanish, so that’s all I got.


Then, we took the boat to a cenote in the middle of a beach. It's hard to explain, but we drove the boat into a huge grove of trees in this tiny, shallow path of water and then to a dock. Then we swam in the cenote... it's a natural pool that isn’t all salty like the ocean. The water was perfectly clear and beautiful! But I didn't swim in it because I learned my lesson at the last cenote. Even though this one was MUCH cleaner, it still had fish everywhere.


Okay, so while my group was swimming I decided to walk around a little. One of the Mexican guys showed me around and we stumbled upon a crocodile. Yes, you read correctly, a CROCODILE… in the same water that my group was swimming in (just right around the corner)! And they didn’t even warn us! I went back and told everyone in the group to come see. The crocodile was holding perfectly still and we could only see its butt. Everyone came to look and soon enough there was a rumor that it was a fake crocodile. Professor H. (our teacher from BYU) told us that the guide told him that it was fake and that the guides just put it there to mess with people. So this one chick was climbing in to take a picture with the crocodile (since it wasn’t real) and Professor H. came frantically running over to stop her. Then he told us that it's actually real and that he only said it was fake as a joke. What kind of joke is that? Ay yi yi.


So then we got back on the boat to go back to the beach and eat (shrimp). But our guía stoped. Sitting there, in the middle of the ocean is a concrete thing with a hole in it and water is coming out of it and pouring into the ocean. Our guía reached out and stuck his water bottle in the middle of it and filled it up. He said that it is "agua dulce" which means fresh water. Then he let us stick our heads out of the boat and drink strait from the concrete tube in the middle of the ocean with algae growing on it. I didn't drink it. They say not to drink the water in Mexico… and so I don't.



CHURCH

I understood a lot more today than I did last week. I think it’s more due to my ability to concentrate this week more than it is due to my abundance in learning—although I am definitely learning.

The lady sitting in front of my in sacrament meeting look just like Bonnie G., Art’s wife—except she was Mexican. But seriously, she looked just like the Mexican version of Bonnie.

Also today in church, some girl shook my hand. I note this because I meet new people every day (at least 5 a day) and I’ve only had 2 handshakes since my time here in Mexico. Mostly it’s kisses on the cheek. Alright… enough for today. I love you all! HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY to all you moms, especially Mom (Susan), Kelly, Heidi, Hope, Shawn, Grandma, and Alana!



MOM—you are the best mom ever! I love you soooo much! I heard you bowled well. Muah! Here’s a tribute to you…



Dear Mom,


I’m sorry that I’m not home with you,

But you’re on vacation too.

Today my spirit feels so low

Because I miss you so.



It’s Mother’s Day so here’s a rhyme

For the month of May

I love you so much, more than time

And you deserve it every day.



You sew so good, and plant so much

You help and love and clean.

There’s nothing better than a mother’s touch

To make an adult out of me.


The end

I know it’s cheesy; leave me alone.

2 comments:

  1. That's not cheesy. That's cute. It's from your heart.
    Thank you! It was a great weekend. Yes, I was spoiled with a weekend of fun stuff. It's hard to do things on Sunday you know?? So it was spread a few more days.

    ReplyDelete