Sunday, May 2, 2010

Church, My Mexican Name, Mayan Ruins, and Birds/Iguanas!

CHURCH

Today we went to church here in Merida. I think it was a branch rather than a ward. There were about 30 to 40 people (not including our study abroad group). So we were about half! I didn't understand very much of church. The people there talked fast, but it was fast Sunday so some of the kids from our group bore their testimonies.

And the church is the same everywhere! It's amazing. Even the Relief Society had the nice decorations.


MEXICAN NAME
So, my teacher told us to pick a Mexican name to have in class. Mine is Lola!!! Which is awesome since I use that name sometimes anyway. And I learned how to sing Eenie Meenie Miney Mo (sp?) in Spanish. It's fun.

And tomorrow is a holiday in Mexico so there is no school tomorrow! Woo hoo!


MAYAN RUINS

Yesterday we went to the Mayan Ruin called Dzibilchaltun. I wish I could understand Spanish better because the guy was telling us about all these cool things about the Mayans and I couldn't understand all of it. I wish I had a personal translator. But I'll tell you what I did understand. It's sooo cool! They were so smart! How were they so smart? They didn't even have computers. The Mayans built this sweet building and then wanted bigger buildings and so they built buildings on top of buildings. Look it up, I can't explain it very well.

There was also a cenote (a natural pool) there and I swam in it. BUT, I only swam in it because I knew I would regret it if I didn't. It was kind of embarrassing because there were lots of little fishies in there and I was screaming and hyperventilating. They kept touching me and they didn't swim away when I moved my hands. So finally my roommates swam with me to the edge to get out.

How did the fish even get in there? It's an isolated pool.

Also, this pool had tons of lily pads in it... everywhere! They look just like they look in movies and cartoons, with the pink flowers and everything.


THE BIRDS ARE IGUANAS!

So remember how I said I wished my mom was here so she could tell me what birds are that are making those weird sounds? Well, my Mama Mexicana told me that it's not a bird at all! It's an iguana!!!! Crazy huh? The iguanas sound like woodpeckers. Interesante, no?

I love you mom and dad! And I love you family!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your adventures! I totally want to hear an iguana now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, sing Eeny, meeny, miny, moe for me...go ahead. I wanna hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Heidi, ready? De tìn marìn, de do pinguè, cùcara màcara titere fue, yo no fuì, fue tetè. Pègale pègale! Que ella fue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still trying to believe you swam in a smamp with lillypads and fish and bugs and didn't die. That's the story to tell your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it`s not a swamp, it`s a cenote. But I can`t believe I did it either. And everyone was laughing at me for being freaked out. They`re the crazy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need pictures Lauren. You need to take your phone or camera with you so we can "SEe" what you're sayin' Please???

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do I post pictures on the blog? I was just gonna put them on facebook.

    ReplyDelete