Tuesday, May 25, 2010

AMAZING! Best Day Yet.

First off, I will say that I am happy. Life is good. It's a beautiful thing! Saturday was seriously the funnest day yet in Mexico. It was soooo amazing. First we went to Loltún which is a huge cave. FREAKING AMAZING! You don't even know. First of all, how can anything be that cool? How did God even create a world that does awesome things like they do? How did He think up the idea that water could run through a mountain and make holes in the mountain that are not only beautiful, but they are cool (temp) and dry in the midst of a climate that is hot and humid! It's truly amazing.

We walked into the caves and saw all the stalignites and stalagmites. Did you know that it takes 100 years for one to grow like a half inch. And if you touch it then it stops the growth for 200 years because of the oils on your hands! Okay, so I`m pretty sure that´s what the guide said... but it was in Spanish, so don`t trust me 100 %.

Later we passed this part where water dripped in and the mayans used that water because it was fresh. Then we saw these naturally made poles. When you hit the pole in a specific spot it echoed and sounded like it was hollow inside. Anyway, the Mayans used that to tell if someone was a virgin or not. I guess the girl would hit it and then walk around the pole and if the noise was still ringing when she was finished then she wasn`t a virgin. And so they sacrificed her. Or was it the virgin they sacrificed. Hmmm... Spanish again.

Okay, so we were walked deeper and deeper into the cave for about a half hour. No birds, no animals, no algea, not even any bugs! Then all of the sudden I heard an animal and asked the tour guide what it was. He said it was a bird and I was like "what? How did a bird get way down in here?" He just looked at me and helped me climb down off of a huge rock so I could go and see what everyone else was looking at. I walked around the corner and guess what I saw? Green. Green trees and plants and bushes with birds flying all around tweeting. The light was shining through a hole in the cave and it was like going from a dark, cold, quiet winter to a beautiful green springtime. Amazing. The light was shining through as if there were an angel coming down. But none appeared. One of the guys in our group, the jokester, was like, "hey, take a picture. This could be used as an analogy that life only grows where there is light." He was kidding, but seriously, it`s true! As much as I loved the dark, cool, awesome, amazing, beautiful caves, I cannot explain how amazing it was to turn that corner and see the green trees and birds and light. Wow. I got the chills.

After the caves we went to Mayapán, another site of Mayan ruins. We didn`t have a tour guide for this one. Also, we were the ONLY ones there. Not a single other tourist was there. You know what that means for a bunch of college students who have been couped up on a long bus ride? Yeah, we played on the pyramids and ruins like little kids on a playground. It was SOOOO fun! I climbed to the top of this super tall pyramid with super thin steps and then was too scared to get down so I had to sit on my but and scoot all the way down. Then it started to rain. It poured, like it always seems to do here when it rains. It was so nice because it helped with the heat, but I also did a rain dance. It was quite fun. Then I went off and explored the jungle around the ruins and climbed a hill where some of my other group members were. This one kid was like, "if we stayed here for a few more years then we would break up into two tribes and start fighting." I guess you kinda had to be there but it was so funny because there was a group of us standing on top of this hill (like a watch tower) looking at the other kids playing on top of the pyramid. Okay, pictures come later today. Sorry, I`m at school and don`t have them with me.

1 comment: