Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 1 of Boston


Okay, so I know I haven't written in a long time. I've been traveling. Since Boston I've been to Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Idaho, and Wyoming. As of now, I am in Laughlin, Nevada.

I kinda want to stay in order of chronology, so here I go with Boston, day 1 and negative 1 (our arrival)...

The night we arrived was tiring. We all got out of the plane and went to the car rental place. We got a big suburban that fits 8 people...... But there was 9 of us! PLUS all our luggage. It was a tight fit and we literally had every inch of that car filled up. I mean, if there was space in your butt crack, it was filled up. When we pulled up to the hotel, we all wanted to get out of that car as soon as possible so we just started throwing the luggage out. As Kelly lifted up Grace to help her get out, she pushed her over the seat. Grace said, "I'm not a suitcase, Mom!" Apparently Kelly was a little too caught up in getting everything out of the car that she forgot who was what and what was who.

Okay, so our first day in Boston we went to Mount Auburn Cemetery to see the graves of some Mugars. It's a huge cemetery and we needed a map just to find the 2 Mugar plots. Kelly has done a lot of family history on the Mugar side and she's been in contact with one of the workers at this ginormous cemetery. Well the cemetery puts out some magazine and there was an article about the Mugars in it. They used a picture that Kelly has at www.mugarfamily.com. They used it for an article about our relatives, pretty cool, huh?


I remember when I came to the east coast a couple years ago for Alana's wedding and seeing how many cemeteries there were there. It was very different from home. In California cemeteries are new, with green grass, away from neighborhoods. Here they are in the middle of neighborhoods, in the middle of the city, on a side road, in a forest, everywhere! As Alana once said, there are more cemeteries in Massachusetts than there are Del Tacos in California. And it's amazing how old some of the graves are. The oldest original headstones I could find were from the 1600s. So beautiful and so amazing. My mom and dad kind of have a thing. They like going to cemeteries. I inherited it. The knack for cemeteries. They are beautiful and peaceful and completely interesting.

After the cemetery we went to this fancy restaurant called Oceanaire. They have THE best mac and cheese on the planet. Wow. It's on the kids menu, but all the adults took a taste. It looked irresistible.

Not just the Mac and Cheese was good, because Grace said, "This is the 2nd time I've had crab cake and it's the best one. Boston has the best food! Even the french fries are the best!" Take it from an honest 8 year old. Or maybe she was just really hungry...

Benny was falling asleep while eating his dinner. It was so cute! But kidna sad. The poor kid just wanted to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment