Friday, April 30, 2010

You Will Be Proud of Me, Mom

Eating Beans...

Well, yesterday I ate beans. Yes, beans, you heard correctly. I ate the food that looks like june bugs. I am in Mexico after all. I will admit that they were refried beans, so they didn´t look like june bugs any more. They tasted good, although I knew I was eating mushed up june bugs.

Bugs!

Secondly (this is not something to be proud of, just a funny story), there was a live cockroach in class today. My teacher picked it up and when he walked toward me with it I ran out of class screaming. The Mexicans get a kick out of me and my roommates. My conversation class this morning was dificult. Since there´s only 6 of us in the class (and only 2 today), I got picked on a lot. And I could only understand less than half of what the teacher said. He talks SOOOO fast! And when I say, "Habla muy ràpido" then he slows down for a minute and speeds back up. He´s nice though. He laughs at how little I understand.

 I`m a freak show here...

The Mexicans here stare A LOT. More than Utahins, which says a lot. When we are waiting at the bus stop and a guy on a motorcycle goes by, he usually stares and stares until I think he´s about to crash. The guys in the cars not only stare, but they honk too. I just wave and try not to smile (since I learned not to smile at foreign men while I was in Europe). But I always smile anyway, I can´t help it. They are so funny. It´s like they´ve never seen a white person before! We are the freak show of Merida. When we`re on the bus and there´s no room to sit down we just sand and hold the bars. The driver of the bus stop and goes a lot so when we fall over nobody laughs except for us. I think they`re very serious.

School at 7 AM!

Yes, classes on Tuesdays and Fridays start at 7 AM. But breakfast is at 5:30 AM so I wake up early every day.

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up! I'm so glad your blogging about this and keeping a record.
    I can't believe you get up that early. Even for breakfast!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I`m so proud of myself! But actually, I like it better early in the morning here... the sun isn`t up yet so it`s only 80 or 90 degrees rather than 100.

    ReplyDelete