Sunday, October 10, 2010

Old Faithful... Oh, And Mikey Gets Charged by a Buffalo


Our first stop today was West Thumb Geyser Basin. You know how sometimes people write in the sidewalk before it dries so they can have their name in it forever? Well, the sidewalks in Yellowstone have bear paw prints! At West Thumb, we saw some paw prints in the sidewalk. West Thumb Basin was way cool. There were tons of pools. One of bright blue. Another was a beautiful green color. But both were super clear. I couldn't tell how deep they went. There were tons of things  to keep my interest. We saw a stream that went from the little pools/wet spots to the big lake. And we saw a deer that ran out into the big area that is restricted for us humans.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Today, we decided to drive down to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. So on the way we stropped at a lake and Mikey went swimming. I just dipped my feet in, but stayed out of the water mostly. I don't like fish. As we continued to Jackson, we drove through the south exit of Yellowstone to go see the Teton Range. They are some mountains. I was told that Teton means boobs in some Native American language. And that's why it's called Teton National Park... because the mountains look like boobs... since there's two of them. I guess I'd have to do some research to know if that's true.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Our next stop was Mormon Row. A little road that is where a bunch of Mormons settled. As we pulled up to look at the old cabins, two foreign guys told us that there was a buffalo a couple hundred yards down the road. There was a fence, so we couldn't drive the car, but Mikey really wanted to see, so we walked. When we got to where the buffalo was, Mikey started getting closer and saying "Here Buffalo, come here" and making noises with his mouth to get the buffalo to come to him. I failed to mention that earlier that day, Dennis said he'd give Mikey a dollar if he got a hair off a buffalo. Yes, $1. And Mikey, being a stupid teenager, actually tried. Well after the buffalo kept coming closer and closer, I started yelling at Mikey to come back. I could tell the Buffalo was mad. But Mikey thought he was coming closer to say hello... because, we all know how friendly those wild buffalo are! Well, finally, the buffalo had had enough and he charged Mikey. I was screaming at him to run and the buffalo hit Mikey. I threw out a couple of curse words to Mikey because he would not come back. I thought I would have to bring home his dead body. But Mikey dropped to the ground and the buffalo didn't step on him, luckily.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After the buffalo walked away, Mikey got up and ran toward me. I ran to him, too, crying and laughing at the same time. I was just so happy to see my stupid cousin alive! (I forgot to mention that we had been seeing sign all over Yellowstone saying not to approach the buffalo. Some lady got mauled a few weeks before). Well, before we started walking back to the car, I noticed Mikey was barefoot. He guessed his shoes came off in all the chaos. So we went back and found his shoes (about 100 yards apart). Oh, and we also found my camera (which I was letting him use) on the ground. He said he dropped it to protect it ha ha ha!

Mikey was mad because he didn't get a hair, even though the buffalo touched him. I was mad because Mikey was stupid. And Chris and Dennis were mad because they had been waiting at the car and didn't get to see this happen.

Well, we all got in the car and made it safely to Jackson Hole. It was fun, we ate some buffalo (Buffalo burger and buffalo steak) to get revenge on the buffalo that tried to kill Mikey. The steak was delicious. The burger would have been better if it were a cow.

After that, we traveled back up to Yellowstone to leave out of the west exit and go back to Utah. We stopped of Old Faithful and got to see it erupt.

Photobucket

Photobucket

.

No comments:

Post a Comment