Sunday, October 24, 2010

Laughlin, NV... Kids Say The Darndest Things

Dog Pile on Aunt Lauren


At the Collin Raye concert

Kelly, Collin Raye, Mom (Susan), Sammy, Me, Heidi

Daniel

August 1-3, 2010


Normally, my family goes to Laughlin every Spring for a bowling tournament. Richard, Heidi, and my parents all bowl, so we go as a family. I usually drive down from Provo since I'm at school. Anyway, after I got back from Yellowstone my dad asked me if I wanted to go to Laughlin. It wasn't for bowling, but he got a special deal with a couple nights for free so we went for fun. Plus, there was a Collin Raye concert going on that weekend. All the hotels there are right on the Colorado River, and the kids love it because we stay at Harrah's, which is the only hotel that has a beach for them to play at.


Our family thinks it's so funny how much the kids love Laughlin. They always make such a big deal about it and talk about Laughlin, or "that hotel with the beach", throughout the year. The reason it's so funny to us is because, well, it's Laughlin! When people ask me where or what Laughlin is, the only way I can think to describe it is a small little town in Nevada that is a tiny, white trash, version of Las Vegas.

The first night in Laughlin we went to the Collin Raye concert. He's a country singer. He's had a few hits throughout the years, but he's not super famous. But he's super nice and super cool. I really enjoyed his concert because he talked to the audience a lot. After the concert Heidi, Kelly, my mom, Sam, and me got to meet Collin Raye. He's such a nice guy! We were talking and I think the topic of Utah somehow came up. I think because he lived in Salt Lake for awhile. Collin was like, "are you guys LDS?" We said yes and he said, "I'm not Mormon, but all my friends are." I thought that was cool. It's nice to know that not everyone looks at Mormons as weirdos or crazy people... although I admit that I'm weird :-)


     GRACE

The next 2 days we just played on the beach. The kids made friends and had a blast. Grace made friends with a little girl names Macy and I overheard this conversation:

Macy: If you forget my name just think of the store, Macy's.
Grace: K, well if you forget my name just think of the graceful people in China.

I burst out laughing. Where does Grace come up with these random things? And who says Chinese people are graceful anyway?

     BENJAMIN

Another funny "Kids say the darndest things quote" was from Benny. Him and Sammy were fighting and Ben ran up to his mom, Kelly, and said, "Mommy, Sammy pulled my boobie!" LOL! The poor kid got his first titty twister.

     SAMUEL

Later, Sammy came to me crying. I asked him what was wrong and he said, "Uncle Tio did it!" Uncle Tio is really Uncle Richard, but since Richard refers to himself as Tio to Sammy, then Sammy thinks he's Uncle Tio. (Tio means Uncle in Spanish). Ahhh, I love kids. They are so funny and I'm never bored when I'm with them.

     DANIEL

Alright, one more funny quote that I have to share. So, Harrah's has two pools, one for families and one for adults. To get to the beach and to rent towels, you have to walk through the adult pool area. It's great, because then all your kids get to see the half naked, thong wearing, drunk people. Well as we were walking through the adult pool area we walked past this old skinny guy with long hair and missing teeth. Oh, and he was wearing a thong and flirting with some young girl. I'm not judging, I just need you to know what he looks like so you understand why Daniel said what he said.

Daniel: (with his cute little lisp) Ewww, those guys were gross!
Me: Shhhhh, Daniel, don't say that so loud.
     (After we walked away...)
Me: Why were they gross?
Daniel: That guy losted all of his teeth except for three of them and he letted his hair grow out like a girl.

We were quoting this one for weeks. It was so funny the way Daniel said it!

Laughlin will always be a place of fun and memories for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment