Monday, September 13, 2010

Fulfilled a Life Goal!


Today we went to Concord. There, we saw Louisa May Alcott's house. For those of you who are uneducated, Alcott is the lady who wrote Little Women. Just kidding. I didn't know who she was at first either. Okay, so I'm not kidding. We really did go to her house. But I am kidding about you being uneducated if you didn't know who she was. The house was... cool. Well, actually it was hot, but I guess it was cool, figuratively speaking. Maybe cool isn't the word. It was, interesting maybe. Milder than interesting actually. Anyway, there wasn't enough room for some of us to take the tour (since we went with the huge celebration group), but I hung out in the shop and outside on a bench. And it was quite hot out. And humid too. Not quite as bad as Mexico. Nothing too exciting happened, but I did watch a mosquito bite my leg... as if I didn't have enough bites already from Mexico.


Next we went to the Minute Man National Park. This is where the Shot Heard Around the World was. It's what they call the first shot fired of the Revolutionary War. The location of the park is where the first battle was. There was also a very nice little river running through the area. Concord River. We saw some guy kayaking in it.


Okay, our next stop was the "Nubble" Lighthouse in Maine. Yes, we got to go to a whole different state this day! That's just one more state off my list (I have to get to them all before I die). On the way to Maine, we drove past Walden Pond. Yes, that is THE Walden Pond of Henry David Thoreau. But let me warn you. Walden Pond is not a pond! It's a freaking lake! The thing is huge! I always imagined Walden Pond to be small. Like maybe 30 feet wide. 100 at most. But no, this was definitely a lake. I looked at a map on my cell phone and saw that there was a lake called Suntaug Lake, just a few miles from Walden Pond and Suntaug LAKE is about half the size of Walden Pond. Weird.


Okay, so we made it to the lighthouse. All I can say is that it was beautiful! I thought of my Aunt Pam, who passed away years ago. But she loved lighthouses. She would have loved it. It was right on the beach and this area of beautiful rocks. There was also a small puddle of water in the rocks where I'm sure the ocean water makes it up to during high tide. But since it wasn't high tide, all the rocks were dry, but in this little puddle of water was like its own little world. It was so cool. It was like its own little ecosystem with miniature animals in their miniature homes.
 
On the way back to the hotel, we stopped at Pine Grove Cemetery in New Hampshire. I wanted to visit something in New Hampshire so I could cross that state off my list. And to cross a state off my list I have to actually do something there, not just drive through it. So we stopped at this awesome little cemetery. It looked old. And it was! I found a tombstone from the 1600s.

2 comments: