Thursday, April 25, 2013

Beauty

A few weeks ago, I was at my sister's house, hanging out with 3 of my nephews. They love me. What!? I'm just being honest. They do. And I love them! Soooooo much! So, the day I was with them also just happened to be a day when I was feeling, well, let's just say "not pretty." You know those days when you just feel ugly? But I didn't really care too much, but my nephews (ages 7, 5, and less than 1) don't care what I look like. They love playing with me on my best days when I'm dressed up and pretty, on my tired days when I'm in my PJs, on my sweaty days when I just got back from a run, and on my bad days when I'm feeling ugly. They'll even wake me up at the wee hours of the morning to play with me while I'm still asleep. So, needless to say, it really didn't matter to them that I didn't look my best that day.

I don't even remember what we were doing, probably playing UNO or watching a movie, but I remember thinking to myself, one day, these boys are gonna grow up and be embarrassed of me on my ugly days. The thought disturbed me, but nonetheless, it was true. Or so I thought.

That night when I went home, I was sitting in my living room doing some homework when my roommate told me she had just read an awesome blog and wanted to read it out loud to me. Here's the link:

http://offbeatfamilies.com/2012/11/telling-daughters-im-beautiful#

This blog says it all. I don't really have much else to say except that our kids are who we make them. Yes, they have agency and personality and they are their own person. But really, for the most part, their attitude about life comes from us and what we say. And if I say I am beautiful, then I never have to worry about my nieces and nephews growing up and realizing that I'm not as beautiful as they always thought I was. Because I am as beautiful as they always thought I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment